Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2013

The blog is mightier than the tweet

Blogging increasingly seems like the elderly relative of the new media family. Young uns prefer to Tweet and update their Facebook status. But there is only so much that can be said in  Twitter's 140 character limit and  a Facebook status doesn't lend itself to a anything longer than a sentence or two. There is something to be said for articles that can explore subjects in a more reflective and considered way. Blogging is just the thing for that. John Stevens is master of the lengthy blog post.

That said, if my blog is anything to go by, most of my readers apparently prefer to access my blog content via Google Reader, email subscription or Facebook and Twitter feeds rather than visiting Exiled Preacher directly. With its longer posts, Blogger remains distinct from Facebook and Twitter, but feeds enable the grand old man of social networking to mix it with the new kids on the block. I probably get more comments and feedback on my blog posts on Facebook than on blog itself. 

Unbelievably, Exiled Preacher has been going for around seven years. I don't blog as frequently as I once did, but I continue to enjoy posting items on a reasonably regular basis. I probably do more personal newsy stuff now than I used to, but I still like to post up book reviews, theological reflections and do the occasional current affairs comment piece. Blogging is also a great format for interviews, of which I've done several. If I've written something for a local paper/magazine, Evangelical Times, or a theological journal it'll usually end up on the blog. Cyber-recycling.

So, I'll probably keep posting my displaced fragments from an exiled preacher. For the time being anyway. 

6 comments:

L said...

I have been visiting your blog for about a year now, and I was wondering if you could tell me why your blog is called the "Exiled Preacher"? Does "Exiled" refer to something in your own history, such as a move to another country (say, Wales to England), or does it refer to the sense in which all believers are exiles?

Guy Davies said...

It's mainly because I'm a Welshman living and working in England as a "voluntary exile", although I'm not unaware of the biblical connotations.

Stephen said...

You make an interesting comment about communicating. I too have been blogging for what seems like a long time now, though much less frequently than I used to. I am trying also to get my head round use of social media.

I am clear in my own mind that more lengthy articles need to be blogged rather than fb'd or G+'d. But the thing I notice is that the blog traffic comes mostly through fb now. Twitter much less. In a sense, fb and twitter seem to be gateways to more extensive treatments of topics if one wants it.

I am still trying to get my head round it all am constantly asking whether this is useful or a waste of time!!

Guy Davies said...

I don't know how useful blogging might be, but I enjoy dabbling and it's gives me an occasional break from prep, visiting, meetings, etc.

Martin Downes said...

"I have always considered the artful use of quotations to be the highest form of blogging. It frees us from the vanity of wanting our own voice to be heard above that of the wise."

Augustine, On Faith and Social Media
(available at the Kindle Store)

Guy Davies said...

I wasn't having a dig at you Martin, if only because I believe that your "quotes" are fabricated.