Pages

Monday, January 01, 2018

2018 Reading List

I had John Owen and English Puritanism: Experiences of Defeat by Crawford Gribben for Christmas. I've been looking forward to this ever since it came out in 2016, but was waiting for the considerably cheaper paperback edition. 

Michael Horton's The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims On the Way is my current 'big read'. I'm about half way through and am enjoying Horton's treatment of major Christian doctrines. He interacts well with contemporary concerns and employs a theodramatic approach. 

I bought Resurrection and Moral Order: An Outline of Evangelical Ethics by Oliver O'Donovan at an Affinity Theological Studies Conference some years ago, but haven't yet got round to reading it. I must dust it off this year. 

I'm a school governor and like to try and keep abreast of what's happening in the world of education. Much Promise: Successful Schools in England by Barnaby Lenon  offers a survey of the evidence on what makes for successful teachers, pupils, governors, etc.  

Last summer I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, a thought-provoking dystopian novel. I plan to pack, The Buried Giant for this year's summer hols. 

Nigel Biggar has been at the centre of an academic spat over the ethics of the British Empire, which has piqued my interest in his Between Kin and Cosmopolis: An Ethic of the Nation

There will probably be more, but this is enough for starters.






No comments: