Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Morning Blues

An edited version of my Morning Thought, for BBC Radio Wiltshire

The silence of your slumbering bedroom is rudely interrupted by your alarm clock. Still dazed by sleep, you opt for the snooze button so you can grab ten more minutes in bed. Before you know it, your trusty clock is at it again. It is Monday morning, work beckons and you find yourself thinking “Why bother?”

Now, some people have very interesting and fulfilling jobs like brain surgeon, radio presenter, or preacher! But many of us have more humdrum work in offices, factories and shops. Some try to find a way off the treadmill with dreams of fame and fortune. They buy lottery tickets, promising themselves that if they win, the first thing they’ll do is jack in their job. My daughter tells me that I should try and get on X-Factor. Suffice to say that I have a brilliant face for radio and you don’t even want to hear me sing! Many who audition for that show tell us that there must be something more to life than what they are doing at present. They want an exciting new career as a pop star.

I’m reminded of some words from a song by The Smiths,

If you must go to work tomorrow,
Then if I were you I wouldn’t bother.
For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know because I’ve seen them,
But not very often.

I can understand how people can reflect on life and think, “Is this all there is, slaving away to earn a crust?” But there can be more to life than this. God made us for himself, that we might live for his glory. Living for the glory of God gives life meaning and purpose. The humblest task then becomes an act of worship and praise. The Christian faith gives us the ultimate answer to Monday morning blues. “Why bother?” Listen to this,

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. (Colossians 3:23 & 24).

With Jesus, what we do in work echoes in eternity.
You can listen to recordings of this week's Graham Seaman breakfast show here. I'm on about 45 minutes into the programme.

No comments: