Pages

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Happy New Year! (for reading)

Thanks to my wife, kids & Santa Claus, I had a few books for Christmas. Two are biographies of leading poets from the 17th and 20th Centuries respectively - John Stubbs on John Donne and Byron Rogers on R. S. Thomas. Thomas is sometimes described as a latter-day metaphysical poet, so the two books should make interesting comparative reading. I'll try to post reviews in the coming weeks.

The third is U2 by U2 a gigantic "coffee table" book, detailing the story of the band so far. This is a great book to dip into for fans of the band. I bought U2's first two albums, Boy and War on cassette, which shows how long I've been a fan. I saw them playing live during the Joshua Tree tour, at the old Cardiff Arms Park. The Edge, whose parents hailed from Llanelli, joked that his dad always wanted him to play in that great sporting arena. He then kicked a rugby ball into the crowd. (It's probably best that he stuck with guitar playing - he was no Gavin Henson).

I'm waiting for the local Calne (Wiltshire) Christian Bookshop's February sale before I order some more theological books. I've got my eye on Gospel of Free Acceptance in Christ: An Assessment of the Reformation and ‘New Perspectives’ on Paul by Cornelis P. Venema see here and Catholicism, East of Eden: Insights into Catholicism for the 21st Century by Richard Bennett see here.

Here's wishing my readers a very happy and blessed new year.

No comments: