Following on from a couple of posts on Evangelicals and ecology (here and here), what practical measures can we take to help create a better world? How can we be more environmentally friendly? We don't have to be hair-shirted ascetics to make a difference. Here are some simple suggestions:
1. Replace high energy light bulbs with low wattage lamps in your home. For example, energy savers give the equivalent of 75 watts of light for only 16 watts of power. How cool is that?
2. Recycle. All kinds of stuff can be recycled these days: paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, vegetable peelings, apple cores, garden waste etc. In the UK, many local authorities will collect recyclable waste from your doorstep. Even if they don't, you will probably find a recycling centre nearby. Assert you dominion over creation in a caring way.
3. Refuse plastic shopping bags whenever possible. Do you really need one to carry home your daily newspaper? So what if it's raining, stick the paper up your coat!
4. Walk or cycle instead of drive whenever possible.
5. Consider moving an environmentally friendly domestic fuel supplier. Some of the main UK Gas and Electricity companies offer a green energy option. Why not switch?
6. What do you suggest?