Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

What I'm reading at the moment

I usually have a variety books that I'm reading at the same time (not simultaneously of course), but I think you get my drift. I have not included commentaries used for sermon prep.

Confessions by Augustine of Hippo, translated by Rex Warner, Signet Classics, repr 2001. I have a nice, small sized edition of this classic, which I leave in the car. I tend to read it when waiting to pick the kids up from an after school activity. Also, if I have an appointment with the Doctor or Dentist, I read it in the waiting room rather than old copies of Hello Magazine. With Augustine, waiting time is never wasted time.
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin, translated by Henry Beveridge, Eerdmans, repr 1983. I'm a couple of chapters into Book III. It is interesting to read his doctrine of the church. The first chapter (of III) was quite a challenge to my separatist beliefs, as Calvin seems to be dead against separating from any church where the Word is preached and the sacraments rightly administered. But his treatment is balanced by chapter two where the reformer compares the false church with the true. It is OK to leave a false church.
John Calvin's Ideas by Paul Helm, Oxford, 2006 paperback edition. I always like to have a substantial work of theology on the go. This work looks at Calvin's ideas from a philosophical point of view. It took me a chapter or two to get up to speed with the philosophical analysis. But I'm about half way through and I'm enjoying it so far.
Princeton Seminary Volume 1: Faith & Learning 1812-1868 by David Callhoon, Banner of Truth Trust, 1994. I bought this (with Vol 2) at a knock-down price at the UK Banner Conference in April. It really is an excellent read. Great history with lots of illuminating biographical sketches thrown in. Not too demanding if you a feeling a little "all studied out".
Donne, The Reformed Soul by John Stubbs, Viking/Penguin, 2006. This was a Christmas present. Although I love Donne's poetry and Stubbs writes exceptionally well, I have read this book in fits and starts. So far, I'm just under half way through (p. 241 of 565). I will have try to finish it off while on holiday.

The King of Torts by John Grisham, Arrow Books, 2003. I read Grisham's Testament while on holiday last summer and enjoyed it. This one was lent to me by a church member and I've read it intermittently over the last six months or so. Looks like I'll have to finish this one during our holiday too.

No comments: