Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

More Important than Life and Death?

 
I can tell something’s going on. I’m astute like that. Can’t quite figure out what it is, though. Will someone please tell me why people have suddenly come over all patriotic round here? English flags adorn houses. Cars, even. All of a sudden there’s nothing worth watching on the telly. It’s all football, football, football. I’ve heard people getting all het up about England losing 2-1 to Uruguay. Something about Suarez, is it?  Baffles me.
 
Alright, I know. It’s Word Cup time and England aren't exactly doing too well. It’s not even certain that they’ll still be in the competition by the time you read this*. Football. More of a rugby man myself. But some people quite like the game, apparently. Bill Shankly the great Liverpool manager said,   “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.” 
 
Really? What or who could possibly be more important than life and death? Only One who could save us from death and give us life, and that’s Jesus.  

* Written for the July/August edition of News & Views, West Lavington Parish Magazine. The deadline was before England were knocked out of the Word Cup when Italy lost to Costa Rica 

No comments: