Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

This week

An unusual week, this one. Due to preach away on Sunday and using a couple of "golden oldies", so no fresh sermon prep. One of our people spoke on Barnabas Fund at the Prayer Meeting/Bible Study, so no prep for that either. Not having to do any prep seems weird. School governor duties Monday morning. Spoke at the Bible Study of a neighbouring church on Tuesday. Pastoral visits. Admin. Crematorium committal this afternoon. Reviewed Gleason on Bavinck and Carson on Tolerance. I say no prep this week, but I'm due to give the talk at Friday's Kids' Club, so I'll need to do something for that. Also speaking at a Men's Breakfast Saturday morning, so I made some notes for my talk, Confessions of an ageing mod. Getting in the mood by listening to Weller's Wild Wood. Reading-wise, so far got through a good chunk of Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics Vol 3 and read a couple of chapters of Iain Murray on Archibald Brown. Great stuff. Murray should learn Dutch and write the definitive Bavinck biography. Oh, and just for fun I managed to get through a chapter or two of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cites. A Dickensian dual biog, Bavinck & Kuyper: A Tale of Two Theologians would be an interesting prospect. 

4 comments:

Gary Brady said...

Liked that Guy. Sounds a bit like my life which gives me some comfort. Admire the wya you press on with Bavinck.

Guy Davies said...

When it comes to Bavinck, I can plod. Speaking of which, yesterday evening I popped round to see a Christian from Bangladesh who has recently moved to Westbury, having been granted asylum in the UK after suffering persecution at home. He told me that his great, great (maybe one or two more "greats") grandfather was converted through the witness of William Carey. Amazing, eh?

Phillip said...

Enjoyed YOUR WEEK.
Those "golden oldies" delivered with a fresh beathing upon by his Spirit.

Guy Davies said...

Amen to that, Philip.